Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Dubious Conferences: How do they threat people?

I just got a call for papers for the International e-Conference on Computer Science 2008 (IeCCS 2008). The IeCCS conference organizers and committee members are one of a kind! The submission deadline for papers is the 20th of June. Notification of acceptance is 25th of June. That's 5 days for reviewing. The camera ready deadline is 27th of June. That's 2 days for revising your paper. You've got to love the efficiency of these people! The 2007 edition of this conference has a program of 11 pages of accepted papers. When I review papers, I rarely get more than 2 done per day. If the IeCCS committee want to accept a similar number of papers this year, then they'd better make sure to get enough coffee (or tea, as advised in my Ph.D. thesis).

Now, if you are a computer science researcher such emails are hardly surprising. I delete several of them every week. Everybody is aware of conferences with questionable reviewing practices (see the SCIgen paper generator). What surprised me about the IeCCS call for papers is that there is actually a researcher on the committee who I vaguely know from when I was a student. So, I searched the web a bit to see how obvious the evidence is that the reviewing practices of IeCCS are questionable. Interestingly, I could find only one reference that mentions IeCCS as a conference where you'd better not submit to. It's an interesting presentation of somebody at the PSU.

It seems that lists of conferences with a dubious reputation (also known as fake conferences) are impossible to keep up. I've seen a few lists in the past, but they've all disappeared. What interests me is why those lists are taken down. The most well known list, by Arlindo Oliveira, was taken down after receiving threats by conference organizers. I've never quite understood that: how serious can such a threat be? Maybe they'll publish a random paper with my name? They'll put me on the program committee next year?

So well, here we go. Let's see what happens.

Notice: IeCCS is not fake. It is very real!

2 comments:

Arie said...

Why would people submit to such conferences in the first place? If somebody wants to know your "academic reputation", then I'd expect that this person do not even look at the title of your papers, but just looks at the names of the conferences for conferences this person knows about. And if these are all unknowns...

Kazimir Majorinc said...

As reader, I lose more by not being able to read average or subaverage, but still novel paper that interests me, than I profit from selection of good works. I have no profit from selection at all - except maybe eliminating the most obvious cranks.